Call for applications! Smart specialization & Industry 4.0 in the Danube region.
Hey TUM students! Ever wanted to be part of something big? Here’s your chance! Apply as a team (2–3 people) for a Project Study (TUM School of Management) or an IDP (Interdisciplinary Project) and be part of our exciting new venture on Smart Specialization and Industry 4.0 in the Danube Region.
🔍 Focus Areas: Smart Specialization, Industry 4.0, International Context
📅 Application Deadline: January 31, 2024
About TUM International
TUM International GmbH, or TUMint for short, has been founded by the Technical University of Munich (TUM) as a 100% subsidiary in 2007. At TUMint, we’re not just your average company – we’re all about making big things happen! We create, build, and manage places where science and innovation thrive. We work globally, teaming up with partners all around the world. More than consultants, we actively participate in catalyzing change. Whether it involves shaping sustainable methodologies or establishing avant-garde universities and innovation hubs, our commitment lies in continually pushing the boundaries of what is achievable.
Our project in the Danube region delves into the concept of smart specialization, emphasizing the identification and prioritization of key sectors for knowledge-based investments within countries or regions based on their comparative advantages. Specifically centered on the Danube region, we aim to comprehensively examine the smart specialization strategies of selected nations and their preparedness (digital readiness) to adopt Industry 4.0 technologies in manufacturing and logistics.
🎯 Project goals
Our primary objectives involve conducting an extensive assessment of smart specialization strategies across Danube-region countries and evaluating their readiness for digital integration, particularly in the private sector. The overarching aim is to pinpoint areas where intervention can enhance small and medium enterprises’ (SMEs) capacity to engage with Industry 4.0 technologies effectively.
Step 1: Getting the Big Picture – Broad technology and policy research
- You will analyze the smart specialization strategies across countries in the Danube region (Serbia, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria, Montenegro, Bosnia Herzegovina, Slovenia).
- Then, you will evaluate the digital readiness level of these countries and select target industrial sectors that might benefit the most.
- Finally, you conduct a digitalization gap analysis for SMEs in these countries to identify key themes that they should embrace to start using smart and eco-friendly tech in manufacturing and logistics.
Step 2: Sharing is Caring — Discussion of the results in a workshop
- We’re not just keeping our findings to ourselves! We’ll get together with our partner institutions from the Danube countries to talk about our results and how they can make a difference.
Your profile 🚀
- Enthusiastic about innovation and technology trends, especially in Industry 4.0
- Experienced in literature review, data analysis, and report writing
- Team-spirit and growth mindset
- Structured approach, analytical skills
- Fluent in English, both verbal and written
What we offer
Get ready to dive deep into advanced tech for manufacturing and logistics, learn about smart specialization strategies along the Danube, and take on individual responsibilities. Plus, you’ll get coaching and guidance from our senior project managers! 🌟
- 3 months full-time or 4–6 months part-time
- Starting the next possible date
📝 How to Apply
Be aware that only TUM students can apply and receive 12 ECTS for the project study / 16 ECTS for the interdisciplinary project (IDP). Check with your faculty and degree coordinators at, for example, the TUM School of Management.
- Motivation letter
- CV of all team members (single applicants are welcome)
- Current transcript of record of all team members